Simple hand painted home address tiles
Time: 3-4 hours
- Glazed Ceramic tile - any size (these can be purchased from Home Depot or Lowes for under $1 each)
- C-Thru Stencil Lettering Guides - 4" Numbers Only
- Matte Stencil Film
- Rubbing alcohol
- Acrylic paint, any of the following will work:
- Blick Scholastic Golden Taklon Round Brushes
- Blick Scholastic Short Handle Golden Taklon Flat Wash Brushes
- Krylon #1303 Crystal Clear or Rust-oleum clear enamel spray sealant
- Round 10-Well Palette Trays
- Conventional home oven
The hand-painted address tile is by far the least expensive and easiest method (if you are artistically inclined to do so). This, in my opinion, is the most attractive and original option that really stands out from your neighbors. If you are not very artistic, then this may not be the approach that you would want to take. If are not comfortable painting your own address tiles, please visit our sponsors that are extremely talented artists that make beautiful home address tiles, as well as other hand painted goods.
- Clean the tiles with the rubbing alcohol and a dry cloth. Wipe off any excess rubbing alcohol with a wet rag and allow the tile to dry.
- Draw your border design and home address numbers on each tile with a pencil or a thin Sharpie. Use the stencils for the house numbers, if you want cleaner edges on the numbers. If you bought the Matte Stencil Film, place a sheet of the stencil film over a pattern or numbers and trace them on the film, then cut out the pattern or numbers with a razor or scissors, then use the stencil you just made to trace your numbers on the tiles. You can get some really nice clipart images from iCLIPART.com. Unlimited access to more than 7 million clipart images, photos, photo objects, fonts, and sounds for one low price!.
- Choose your colors and squeeze them sparingly into the palette wells.
- Paint the border design and numbers onto your tiles over the pencil markings.
- Wait 1 hour for paint to dry and then paint a 2nd coat.
- Place the tiles onto a cookie sheet at least 2" apart from each other. Preheat the oven and bake according to the instructions on the label for the paint you've chosen.
- Once the baking process is complete, turn off the oven and let the tiles cool off INSIDE the oven with the oven door closed.
- Spray on a light coat of the Krylon Crystal Clear or Rust-oleum clear enamel and let it dry.
- Spray on another light coat of the Rust-oleum clear enamel and let it dry.